Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The week we all fell apart.

The calm before the storm....


Ava got to ride her zebra for the first time this week!


Our week started out great but it turned south pretty fast!
Monday Jennifer came over to watch the babies and I didn't even leave the house. I did laundry and cleaned all day!

Tuesday I woke up and met Karrie at the gym for spin class, cleaned up more around the house and then went to Pesto with my mom, Victoria, and the babies for dinner. It was yummy, the babies were good (Ava did have a little projectile spit up), Jed Clampit was playing, we had a good night.


Knox with his Gigi!


Ava liked listening to the music. She kicked her little feet and danced! Mr Frog liked it too! I'm not really sure what Brooks thought because he slept the entire time!

Wednesday I woke up and went to the gym. I told Karrie my stomach was hurting but I just figured I somehow pulled a muscle. On my way home from the gym B called to tell me that Knox had a little rash. Umm "Little rash" is an understatement. I called his pediatrician and the earliest appointment they had was one. Knox was getting worse by the second. His entire body was covered in huge welps. I was terrified his throat would close! I knew if that happened I wouldn't have time to load all three babies in the car to go to the hospital by myself (B had his own doctors appointment that morning so he had to leave) so I called my mom and had her come over and watch A and B and I took Knox to the doctor sweaty and in my gym clothes. I figured if something was going to happen I would rather be in the waiting room at the Dr's office. As soon as we walked in all of the nurses were like "Oh my gosh! If we had known he looked that bad we would have told you to come right in!" He really looked terrible. My Pediatrician was on vacation all week so we had to see the nurse practitioner. She was really sweet but basically said she had no idea what was going on. He was obviously having an allergic reaction to something. We switched his formula a week before so she said she seriously doubted it was that but there was a slight chance or it could be a virus. He didn't have any temperature though. She basically said he was too young for any medicine so to just take him home. We went home and I switched him back to Alimentum. He just kept getting worse. By Wednesday night his ears were huge and his face and neck were completely swollen. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen. I was on the phone all night with the nurse practitioner (she gave me her cell phone number), Travis (B's friend who is a pediatrician in LR), Allison (I make her call her dad every week with a new question), and I made my mom spend the night. I was terrified! His poor little face couldn't get any more swollen! Wednesday night was also when my stomach pains started becoming unbearable. My upper right rib area was killing me. It was achy sore, a very weird feeling. I know I'm out of shape but I couldn't figure out how I managed to damage or pull my rib in spin class?? And only on one side.... The next morning it hurt so bad I couldn't get out of bed. I felt terrible. I almost felt like I had the flu. Knox's ears weren't swollen anymore but the rash was worse. I made doctors appointments for Knox and myself. The new doctor we saw said basically the same thing as the nurse. He said there was a slight chance he was allergic to the new formula or he had a virus he was allergic to. My doctor said my liver was tender but not swollen so he wanted to do blood work to rule liver problems out and I needed an ultrasound to check my gall bladder. I don't even have a doctor and I've lived here for ten years. I never get sick! But of course I get sick the same week one of the babies does! My blood work came back normal and I had to wait until the next day for my ultrasound. Thank goodness for Jennifer! She helped me so much this week with Ava and Brooks. They love her so much! I walked in one day and she was bathing Brooks and he was laughing and smiling at her. I think he is probably starting to think she is his mommy! haha I thought that Knox was surely going to to start getting better but Thursday night he got fever. Like 102...I freaked, B freaked. We were screaming at each other, we didn't know what to do. B wanted to take him to the ER. I called my mom and told her she had to come over immediately! Our house was a circus. My mom had to seriously talk me off of a ledge. She kept telling me "Michelle all babies get fever, this is just the beginning." Ha it was really terrible. Oh and poor Travis. I was texting him every five minutes.

A sample conversation:
Me-"His fever is 101.4"
Travis-"Give him Tylenol"
Me-Now its 102.2"
Travis-"He will be okay, give him Tylenol"

Haha At one point I just told him to send me a bill because I knew I was driving him crazy. Oh and I took Knox's temperature every 3 minutes on average. I rotated three thermometers and then made B go to Walgreen's to buy a rectal thermometer that my mom had to use because I couldn't do it. It was a crazy night to say the least! I made Caroline spend the night and keep A and B downstairs and I kept Knox upstairs with us.

Friday Jennifer came over to watch A and B while I went to to the doctor for my gall bladder ultrasound and B took Knox back to the doctor. My ultrasound was clear! Who knows what was wrong with me! The nurse said I might have had the same virus Knox had. I think I was literally sick to my stomach because Knox was so sick. I called B assuming Knox was back at the house with Jennifer and he was at work. That's when he told me Knox had turned purple and the doctor was basically freaking out. She said we might have to put him in the hospital. They gave him Benedryl and Tylenol and wanted him to stay at the office so they could watch him. When I got there they told me they needed to give him a catheter. It was TERRIBLE. I cried more than Knox. Two nurses held him down and I sat in the corner and cried. I think B was pretty close to tears too. He had a little Protein in his urine but no bacteria. They sent us to the hospital next to get blood work. I just stayed in the waiting room for this part. B took him back and held him. He didn't even make a peep. I think he was completely doped up on the Tylenol and Benedryl. After the hospital we went back to the doctors office and she thought he looked much better. His blood work came back and his white count was low so she thought it was definitely a virus. Everything else looked great! He went home and slept and I ran a few errands that have been on my to-do list for about a month. I didn't get everything done but I did manage to cross a few things off my list! Friday we were all exhausted so the babies and I went to sleep super early while B was at work. I didn't even hear him come home.



One of my pet peeves is when people post pictures of their sick kids on facebook! I would be furious if someone tried to take a picture of me when I was sick! I want to comment on their pictures and say "Quit snapping pictures, quit playing on facebook, and hold your baby!" Now look what I'm doing!! I have several pictures of Knox with his rash because I kept snapping pictures so I could go back to compare to see if he had gotten worse. The doctor even took pictures of him because she said she had never seen a young baby with a rash this bad.... This picture was taken on Friday when he was starting to get a little better...


His little swollen ear. Broke my heart.


Saturday B and Darrell went bike riding at Devils Den. They left around 6am. The babies and I had a hard time getting out of bed! Even though I went to bed early it was a rough night. Brooks (the bottomless pit) woke up at 4am to eat, Knox 6am, Ava 7am, and then they were all awake for good at 9am. We spent the rest of the day hanging out at the house. Travis and Leigh came to visit with their kids so we swam and cooked out. We can't wait for them to live here! I am really going to drive them crazy with my medical questions when we are all in the same town! haha

Saturday night I made the boys have a pull up contest. I really can't believe they agreed to it! It was hilarious! PS-I can't do one single pull up! Ha That's how out of shape I am! I would completely fail the President's Physcial Fitness Test!


For some reason the boys were facing away from me. So these aren't the best pictures!
This is B. He came in third place... I think his excuse was he has to pull up 190 pounds... Whatever B! Don't be a sore loser! Lay off the Sonic and you can be the pull up champion one day too! haha I think I told him this and he told me to do one... That's when I realized I couldn't!



This is the winner! Way to go Darrell. I sent Ashlee a message and told her should be proud of her husband because he won the competition. I think Darrell has one of these bars and home. He must practice a lot!


Second place goes to Travis! I wish I could remember how many they each did!


Baylon got in on the action too!

Ava and Brooks had a slumber party with Gigi Saturday night. They sleep so well at her house. I think it's because her bedroom is so dark! They slept until 7 or 8! Knox was awake at 3am and 7am at our house! I always send the wrong baby! ha Sunday was a lazy day! We said bye to Darrell, Travis and Leigh, cleaned the house, B attempted to put together his new tent, and I did a ton of laundry!

So this week we spent $150 in copays, I went to the dr twice, Knox went to the dr four times and the hospital once. We had a pretty exhausting week! I'm ready for a vacation!


PS-Knox weighed 12lbs 6oz at the doctor this week. He's getting so big!

1 comment:

In This Wonderful Life said...

I'm my word! SO SORRY about Knox's rash! It would have broken my heart!!! i hope it's all cleared up!

I had LOTS of pain after Cohen. I had elevated liver enzymes and they had a check done my my gallbladder...and it was fine. My right side hurt for months. After I tried to start working out (all I did was the treadmill and maybe some weights) I got AWFUL pains in my tummy area... and ended up in the ER. Doctor basically told me it was too soon, but it had been like 6 months! Anyways,hope you guys are feeling better!!! Im trying to wait patiently on the twins to arrive!!!