Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Baby Food Making.. And Eating!

This was a big week at our house! The babies ate their first solid food! When I was pregnant I decided I wanted to try to make all of the baby's food. I know some people probably think I am crazy for attempting this but so far it hasn't been that hard. I really hope it will save me a lot of money too!
I made a trip to Ozark Natural foods and bought a lot of organic produce. I think I bought apples, pears, bananas, green beans, sweet potatoes, peas, zucchini, butternut squash, carrots, and avocados. My dad came over and brought his food processor and we started steaming and blending! I think it took three hours but we made enough food to last about a month. I spent $37. I don't know how much baby food cost but $37 a month has to be cheaper than buying the jars!

Our work station.
I used my Babycook maker (Thanks Lauren and Scott) for the small things and then I used a large pot to steam the large things! This little baby food maker is pretty neat! It steams and blends the baby food in about fifteen minutes! I did have to call Sarah several times to make sure I was using it correctly!
The sweet potatoes took forever to cook so we cheated and cooked them in the microwave! I hope the babies like them because we have a ton!
A little broccoli A La Mommy!
I decided I better not try to feed them until after they were Christened in case Knox had another allergic reaction! I didn't want him to have a rash in all of his pictures and scare everyone at church! Sunday after everyone left we were finally ready to feed them! It was a six person job! Brandon and Chris took pictures, my mom videotaped, Jennifer held Brooks (he was napping), Caroline helped hold their heads up, and I did the actual feeding!

I don't have high chairs yet so we used their bumbo chairs! They really worked great! Their first meal was a little mashed up avocado mixed with formula! Yummy!
Ava didn't know what was about to happen!
Her first bite!
I think she liked it!
She was ready for another!
Knox's first bite! How funny is that face?



Things got a little messy!
Knox and Ava were both great eaters! They would open their mouths for more bites!
Ava was literally covered from head to toe in green!

Gigi had to clean her up a bit!
More please!
Brooks slept through the first feeding but he woke up as soon as the other two fell asleep! He was very excited about his first meal!
Brandon said he wanted a turn feeding them so I was in charge of the camera and the video camera!
His first bite!
I think it scared him a little bit but he was a fan too!
"Not so much Dad!"
Once B realized this was going to be a long process he got bored and gave up so I finished feeding Brooks!
I'll be honest, I was very exited about the babies eating solid foods but it is a slow process and a big mess! I wonder if I can just wait until they are about two to feed them solid foods again?? Kidding!
This morning they ate cereal and we are going to eat avocados again tonight! They definitely liked avocado much more than cereal! I don't blame them. I tasted the cereal and it is TERRIBLE!

My babies are getting too big!

No comments: