Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Brooksy's Boo Boo

Tuesday night we went over to a friends house for a cookout.  We only took Brooks and Ava because Knox was going to spend the night with my mom.  The kids were having so much fun with all of the other kids at the party.  Ava stayed busy playing and Brooks did too!  He loved riding on the back of the four wheeler with the big kids!  He had fun dancing too.  Presley was showing us his Michael Jackson moves and Brooks was trying to copy him which was hilarious.  I think Brooks got a little too excited about his dance moves because he tripped on the edge of the rug and fell forward.  I immediately said, "You're okay Brooks" but then Melissa said, "No he's not!" He looked up and his little head was gushing blood.  I went into freak out mommy mode and scooped him up and started ordering people around! ha Karrie got me a towel and I went outside to tell B we needed to go to the hospital for stitches and to grab Ava.  Everyone was such a big help!  I left in such a hurry that I forgot my phone and Karrie was nice enough to bring it to me at the emergency room! Brooks was screaming his little head off.  Blood was everywhere!  B was freaking out way worse then me though!  I think all of Brandon's ailments and emergencies have prepared me for moments like this!  He put the kids in the car and rode on top of a car seat in the back so he could hold the towel on Brooks's head. I turned on Hi-5 to distract him and then literally drove 100mph to the hospital.  Oh and I called Leigh and Travis on the way to see if she was working that night.  Thank goodness she was!  Brandon later told me I would make a great ambulance driver!  I had my flashers on and everything!  By the way, it is amazing how dumb some people are! I had my flashers on and two cars just slowed down in front of me and went the same speed so I couldn't get around either of them.  I thought B might throw something out of the window at them! He was not happy!  Looking back, I have to laugh a little at how dramatic the whole thing was! I pulled right up to the front door of the hospital and carried him in like it was a life or death situation.  Everyone just stared at us.  There were a million people in the waiting room and Brooks was still hysterical.  The lady at the front desk said, "Can you fill out this form for me please." Really lady?  I'm covered in blood, holding a screaming baby covered in blood and you think I can fill out a form?!  That's when I decided to take matters into my own hands and to walk through the double doors to the back and go find Leigh.  Leigh assured me he would be okay but told me I was going to have to wait forever because there were 42 people in front of us (ridiculous) and she couldn't push us to the front of the line! So we decided to load him back up and take him to the physicians specialty hospital.  Thank goodness we went there!  It's very small and they only had one doctor, one nurse, and three rooms but we didn't have to wait at all and the doctor was so nice!  Brooks had calmed down at this point but we still had to work hard to keep him entertained.  It was three hours past his bedtime at this point too! He had to have a head x-ray and the technician was so nice!  She even burned me a cd of his little pictures!  He didn't have any skull fractures but he did have a deviated septum.  They weren't sure if that happened during the fall or if he was born that way.  They seemed surprised he didn't have any breathing problems.  I guess we can address that problem at a later date.  I told the doctor I wanted a plastic surgeon to stitch him up.  That got a huge eye roll from Brandon! ha I kind of got an eye roll from the doctor too! She told me no plastic surgeon would come in to stitch him up. Oh well, Brooksy, I tried! After an hour or two it was finally time to stitch him up.  They wrapped him up like a mummy in a blanket and held him down.  He completely flipped out so I had to leave the room.  He kept looking at me like, "Get me out of here" and I couldn't handle it! So I walked around the hallway.  By the time they were finished and unwrapped him he was soaking wet with sweat!  Poor baby! We were so ready to get out of there!  The doctor wanted me to take him in to Dr Averitt the next day for a little checkup and back to get his stitches out in a week.  But other than that we were good to go!  I think it was 11:30 at this point.  Way past the little man's bedtime!  Thank goodness Gigi was able to keep the other two and was at home to give Brooks some get well soon kisses!  At this point he was acting like nothing had ever happened!  B thought it would be a good idea for him to sleep with us.  Not a good idea at all.  Finally at 1:30am I put him in his own bed!  It was a crazy night for sure!   

Before and after.  The doctor assured me she was really good at stitches.  I hope she was telling the truth!

Brooks was a little cranky the next day but his mood quickly changed when all of his visitors started arriving! Brooks and I really have the best friends and family! Gigi brought yummy cookies and lots of new tractors, Brooks' favorite! Ava got new bracelets too!  Next Karrie stopped by with yummy cupcakes and balloons!  Later, Jessica and Sarah brought a card, stuffed animals for all of the babies and cute band aids!  Thanks so much everyone! Brooks loved all of his gifts!  They definitely put a smile on his face!

Brooks loved his balloons from Aunt Karrie!  

 Apparently Brooks wasn't very happy about sharing his Bliss cupcake with Knox!  I wouldn't be either buddy! 

Miss Priss loved her bracelets! They made her feel better too!  Thanks Gigi! 

I think I gained five pounds last week!  I had to help Brooksy and the babies sample all of their sweet surprises! 

Thursday was school picture day, of course, the day after we get a black eye and stitches.  I thought I would let him stay at home and have a special day with his mommy!  I did take him in when I dropped the other two off to have his picture made.  It didn't exactly go well.  He flipped out every time I tried to set him on the little table for his picture.  I'm not sure what the problem was.  Brandon was there which might have something to do with it or it might have been the bright lights that kind of resembled the emergency room lights.  Whatever it was he was not happy.  After thirty minutes I finally just told them to take a picture of him crying.  I couldn't have pictures of the other two and not Brooks.  Oh well, there's always next year!  
After pictures B and I took him to Rick's bakery for his first donut!  I think he ate one whole donut hole! ha He was too distracted by all of the people in Ricks!  I can't wait to take the other two!  I know they will love it!  After Rick's we went home and snuggled and watched Hi-5, then I dropped him off at the liquor store and he got to have lunch with B at the Harps deli! ha I think it was a pretty good day for my boy! When I picked up the other two the teacher told me she could tell Knox missed Brooks.  She said he looked around for him all day!

The surprises didn't end there!  Friday Caroline brought over even more get well soon surprises! 
She went all out!  They got new books, movies, a dinosaur, coloring book, a broom for Knox, and Ava got a brand new purse and sunglasses!  

Their new weapon!

This girl loves her new sunglasses! 

Saturday Uncle Ryan brought over even more surprises!  Brooks got a new dump truck full of blocks!  He liked it so much he decided to climb inside and go for a ride!  Knox got his very own vacuum cleaner!  Right up his alley!  Ava got her very own remote control!  She loved it of course!  Thanks Ryan!  What perfect gifts!

Thank you so much to everyone who stopped by, brought gifts, and checked on our sweet boy.  We appreciate it so much and we know he does too! He is one very lucky boy to have so many people that love him! 

No comments: